South Australian Association for Media Education Inc.
ABN 15 378 408 705
P.O. Box 300, Ingle Farm, South Australia, 5098
2019 Executive Meeting Minutes
Tuesday 15 July 2019, 10:40 am – 12:05 pm
Held at cafeteria in ABC building
Present: Grant, Tim, Steve, Alex, Hal, Harry, Jayne
Apologies: Karen, Zora, Guy, Laura
Media Matters conference:
- A motion was put forth by Harry to confirm whether we all
wanted to hold the Media Matters conference at the end of the
Everyone voted yes.
- Do we call it: “Media Matters” a SAAME/UNESCO/GMIL
- Has to be below $4000 (current available funds, prior
conferences had made losses; lack of attendance, lack of
- Sponsors: Needed to help with costs (could be used
to cover catering costs?). Entities like ProAV, Røde, perhaps? Adobe interested, but wants a
prospectus (of what? SAAME or the conference?).
- Grants: CEASA (Educators SA)
- Attendance pricing: How much to charge.
Discount for SAAME (members, teachers, students, public)
- Booking/ticketing services: Eventbrite, Trybookings
- Networking: Promote the conference widely. Use
facebook group (80+ members), Teachers of Adelaide, CEASA website, Teacher's Association,
- Venue: Some venues could be a conflict of interest with
other venues, some sponsors, or speakers. Needs a reception
area, a theatrette and about four rooms for workshops. GU
Film House? Uni of SA at Magill still a favoured
Lamb is confirmed. Concerns about cost (flight in
& out, accommodation, daily fee).
- Strong interest from Sophie Hyden in
presenting a screening of “The
Hunting” followed by a Q & A. “The Hunting”
is a local production that will screen on SBS in August and
is sure to raise many issues that are pertinent to practising
and aspiring Media teachers.
- Other suggestions:
- Other names mentioned during meeting (unsure to what purpose;
sponsors, speakers?): Film Corp, Indigenous Perspective,
Film Festival, AYFF/AIFF youth program (unsure of spelling, and
of what the name refers to)
- Subjects and topic suggestions:
- SACE - Grant
- Adobe - presentation, workshop, editing?
- What is media?
- Day 1: Opening & introductions. Friday 5 – 8
- Needs a drawcard so people attend both days.
- Need an opening speaker. A MP?
- Screening of something: e.g. The Hunting
with director Q & A?
- Day 2: Presentations and workshops. Saturday 9 am
– ? pm
- Do presentations twice over, so people can nominate which
to see, and not miss out? Two 45 minute presentations,
with either two 60 minute workshops or one 2 hour
workshop? Or, three presentations and three
- Podcasting, short film narrative, doco, comedy.
- Adobe could do a presentation and workshop.
- Assign people to jobs for organising the conference:
- Harry: convener / program co-ordinator
- Jayne: registration desk, accomodation, venue
- Hal: communications & publicity (twitter?)
- Tim: website
- Grant: finances
Zora (not present) was
nominated to design a poster
- New SAAME website:
- Should make urgent progress on registering domain name(s) for a SAAME website.
Perhaps more than one. A separate domain name for the
conference? Did we want .com.au, .org.au, perhaps
both? Grant brought in some potential domain names that
weren't already taken. Did some quick online searches to
find some other suitable names, too, that weren't already taken
for the conference. Grant said he'd follow up on
- Would like to add some exec bios to the SAAME website, and
probably to the conference page, too. Adding some mugshots
would be good. Examples can be seen on the biographies page already.
- Next meeting (mainly regarding conference planning) would be
better somewhere quieter, probably at Wilderness. Proposed 4:30
29 Jul 2019.
- Meeting closed 12:05 pm
End of page content, site navigation links follow.