Minutes of 2008 National Media Education Conference Steering
Tuesday November 20, 4-6pm, Hughes 721, Adelaide University
Present: Kerry (UniSA), Karen (while on leave from Flinders Uni!),
Sue (TAFESA), Grant (SAAME), Graham (DECS) & Lou (SAAME)
Apologies: Mary (Adelaide Uni), Mike (Flinders Uni)
- Conference Management – Two quotes have been received and
distributed. One from Plevin Associates (a local group) and the
other from Conference Plus, now operating out of Melbourne. Both
charge according to the level of service provided ranging from
registrations through to finding sponsors and providing a website.
John Richards from Conference Plus was keen to attend our next
meeting. We need to decide what level of service we expect the
Management Company to provide. We will be able to use tertiary
students to assist and in return offer them free registration for the
- Venues – Bookings will open possibly in December but certainly
by February. We will need to negotiate with Campus Services about
cleaning, security, having toilets open etc.
- Conference theme/s – Some discussion but still
- Key speakers – More suggestions. David Buckingham.
Karle Nordenstig(?) from Finland. Perhaps the Chair of the
Communication Network from Unesco
- Sponsorship – We need to assign someone specifically to this
task. Perhaps target the SA Government and involve the ABC through
the new digital channel for children.
- Call for Papers – Need on overarching theme to begin
with. Karen keen to continue working on this. Details about
the conference should be going out in December. Make use of
website. Initially ask for expressions of interest then Call for
Papers. Aim for about 40 papers/ workshops in 90 minute
blocks. Range of workshops & events. Make sure we secure
local talent for workshops (eg Sascha Grabinch). Run a local
content gallery. Kids panel
- Next meeting – Tuesday December 18th, 4pm at UniSA.
- Meeting closed and Kerry thanked for his hospitality.