Minutes of 2008 National Media Education Conference Steering
Tuesday October 16 4-6pm
Hawke Building Level 6 Room 10
UniSA City West Campus
Present: Mary Griffiths (Adelaide Uni), Kerry Green (UniSA), Mike Walsh
(Flinders Uni), Sue Rosenthal (TAFESA), Lou Crow & Grant Brindal
- Venues – Kerry conducted a tour of the building and its
facilities. Two plenary areas – Bradley Forum (seats 140 in a
flexible space) & Alan Scott Auditorium (seats 400+ in more lecture
theatre style but this cannot be booked until February next year).
Sixth Floor would be used for break out sessions. All rooms have
digital projectors & internet connection. One area is a
specialised video conferencing space. Can also book out wireless
laptops. Possible costs per day were cited but Kerry thought use of
the area would probably be free. There was unanimous agreement that
this would be the best venue. One query about technical help and
how this would be accessed. No inhouse catering – we would need to
- Conference Management – Contact Conference Plus for a
quote. Meanwhile we will investigate other groups.
- Conference theme/s -Ideas: Involve secondary
students. Game play happening in courtyard area. ‘Abusing
Media’ title was thought to be too value laden. Build assignments
for Uni students and Yr 12’ around the conference. Make use of
Advertiser online presence. They would be keen to speak.
Roger Savage online editor for Adelaide Now?! Make connections with
industry. Showcase SA talent. Continue to mull over this for
Key speakers – Probably two overseas and two local keynote
- Henry Jenkins from M.I.T.
- David Gauntlet.
- Someone to do with policy – Sandra Winter-Dewhurst from ABC about
digital and next generation platforms.
- Someone from UNESCO. Kerry to develop list especially as he
is now involved with them.
- Call for Papers/Publishing – Contact with Kathy Greenfield
from “Southern Review”. Possibility that the April 2009 issue could
be a conference one. This would be subject to who the keynote
speakers are. “Metro” would also be interested – Mike is SA
connection for this.
- Asides – Conference Dinner - Catch the tram to Glenelg?
Budget deadlines? Ministerial opener?
- Next meeting – Tuesday November 20th, 4pm. In Hawke
Building at UniSA City West Campus in same room.
- Meeting closed and Kerry thanked for providing excellent venue and