South Australian Association for Media Education Inc.
ABN 15 378 408 705
P.O. Box 300
2006 Executive Meeting Minutes
THURSDAY JUNE 22nd 2006
Caffe Paparazzi, Malvern, Unley Road, 4.30 p.m.
Present: Grant Brindal , Thom Burns, Tom Glouftsis, Julie
- MEETING OPENED: 4.45pm Executive members were welcomed.
- CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES for April 11 were presented
- BUSINESS ARISING:
- Showcase was successful despite a few less attending. More
entries and greater variety. Publicity/promotion was on light
side. Look for sponsorship. Contacting students from
previous year a problem. Worthwhile keeping MRC? Use
another venue? Presenter needs to be lined up earlier.
Why is there a technology showcase but not a media one from
Thom to write letter to SAC arguing for this – particularly in light
of new syllabus for this year. Vote of thanks to Thom.
- Premier’s letter – still no reply apart from an
acknowledgement. Have since sent a second letter proposing the
idea of a Premier’s Media Challenge.
- Tertiary members drive – Thom spoken to Trudi Sweeney about Media
Ed & working together on Wintonick. Ongoing issue.
Thom & Grant to pursue.
Outgoing – Letter to Premier, CEASA membership, membership (problems with
DECS emails – batches from outside)
- T&D – Alan Ellis “School Torque” keen to work with SA
teachers and students later in year. Think about working with
SASOSE next year.
- Democracy Project - Group continuing to meet each term but
fewer people are attended. Moving forward with working groups
established but still no funding for a project officer or
writer. Valley View Secondary involved in producing a
documentary about the composing of a song (on the theme of democracy)
for next year’s Primary Schools Music Festival.
- Funding, sponsorship & membership drive – should
include a slip for lapsed members as a reminder. Grant
suggested we apply for government funding to buy a new laptop.
Agreement for this and Grant will investigate.
- Name Change – Grant suggested we think about using a
trading name as SAAME is a mouthful particularly if being introduced
on radio. Suggestion is Media Education SA but that we don’t
use the accompanying acronym. All were in favour of doing this
– Grant will investigate legalities.
- National Media Education Conference – ‘eMerging Realities’
Brisbane, October 6-8 at QUT Garden Grove. Details can be
downloaded from http://www.atomconference2006.com.au
- Lobbying/ complaints – ACMA, newsletter, ACMASPHERE
(free to anyone who asks for it), published d etails of our complaint
against ‘Today Tonight’ invading privacy by using a hidden camera
even though this complaint was not upheld.
- Finance - healthy. Some royalty fees arrived (~ $50).
Agreed that we continue to support CAMEO website and pay the domain
name fee ($110 for 2 years). Mercury Cinema hire fee to be
- Media Wise – Tom needs articles. Thom to do one about the
Showcase, conference details, something from John Cronin (?).
- Media Moves – Programs being broadcast each month. Lots of
movie tickets being given away.
- A.O.B – None
NEXT MEETING: Decided to return to this venue, Week 4 of term 3,
following a SSABSA meeting, Monday August 14, 6.30pm
MEETING CLOSED 6.20pm